[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Dialogs

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 3 14:13:15 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 14:34:58 Heiko Tietze wrote:

> === Is this the right control? ===
> * Use a dialog to structure the work flow. For instance, the functions Open,
> Save, Find need user input or confirmation. In particular, dialogs are
> expected by users for configuration.

I'd replace "Find" with "Advanced search" because I guess we don't want people
to use a dialog for a simple search function (some applications do this, and
it's annoying as hell).

> * Do not nest dialogs more than two levels deep.
> For example 'Configuration dialog > Advanced dialog' is ok, 'Configuration
> dialog > Advanced dialog > Further settings dialog' is too deep.

I'm not sure if we should allow nested dialogs at all. I'd prefer to
discourage nesting in general (if it cannot be avoided, an exception can still
be made).

> * Dialogs are grouped in meaningful sections. The
> actions are grouped along their context of use, not along technical
> relations. * Provide a title to each section.

Here a link to the grouping HIGs would make sense.