[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Dialogs

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Thu Oct 3 09:20:25 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, 3. Oktober 2013, 10:55:58 schrieb Teo Mrnjavac:
> On 02/10/2013 16:34, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > * Dialogs should not be bigger than 800x600 pixels and should always
> > be resizable
>
> A bit of a nitpick: we should probably avoid specifying a size in pixels
> since there seems to be a trend of high DPI displays these days, e.g.
> 2880x1620 at 15.6" on some new Asus and Lenovo laptops, as well as retina
> MacBooks. 800x600 is a smallish dialog on those, and dialogs which start
> with a fixed pixel size can be very annoying. I propose replacing this
> guideline with
> * Dialogs should not be bigger than two thirds of the screen size and
> should always be resizable.

Good point!

* Dialogs should not be bigger than two thirds of the screen size and should
always be resizable. Take care about high resolution displays (i.e. QXGA and
more).

Personally, I wouldn't like 2/3 of screen size for dialogs. I resize it always
to about 1/4. So it might be a good advice to:

* Save and restore user adjustments of dialog size.