[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Radio button

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Wed May 29 14:58:51 UTC 2013

Am 28.05.2013 18:57:33, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> "If there are only two options where one is the negation of the other (e.g. "apply" vs. "do not apply"), consider replacing the radio buttons by one checkbox."

Sounds much better.
> Maybe we should write "If there are more than five options (or there is not
> enough space to arrange four or five options vertically), use a combo box or
> list instead" ?

Yes.
 > And I'm thinking whether we have to make clear that radio buttons must only be
> used when the list of options is static, or if we can trust that no developer
> would try using radio buttons for dynamic lists of options?

 I added "Do not use radio buttons for options with varying captions." (instead of "Don't use radio buttons for non-static lists"). But it's difficult to find an example that makes the point clear. On the other hand, "yesterday,today,tomorrow" for a time line on a daily basis versus "last month, this month, next month".
Should we implicitly allow it (by not talking about)?