[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Radio button

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue May 28 16:57:33 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 28 May 2013 15:20:52 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> I suggest to discuss topics in separate threads (and perhaps refere to it
> from the styleguide). To start with something simple.
>
> * generic structure applied
> * "Use radio buttons for 2 to 3 mutually exclusive options. If there are
> more than three options, use a combo box or list instead." changed to "Use
> radio buttons for a few mutually exclusive options. If there are more than
> five options, use a combo box or list instead. In case of artificial
> opposite options (apply vs. don't apply) consider to replace the radio
> buttons by one checkbox."

Hmm... choosing the upper boundary for the number of radio button options
isn't easy. Four or five options may be a bit much depending on the available
space.
Maybe we should write "If there are more than five options (or there is not
enough space to arrange four or five options vertically), use a combo box or
list instead" ?
And I'm thinking whether we have to make clear that radio buttons must only be
used when the list of options is static, or if we can trust that no developer
would try using radio buttons for dynamic lists of options?

> * added "When using a radio button and none of
> the options is a valid choice, add another option to reflect this choice,
> such as None or Does not apply"

+1

> * added "Always have one radio button
> selected; make the first item the default option."

Why always the first option? Shouldn't the default depend on what's actually
the best default option if a user leaves it unchanged?

> * todo: code snippet?

Yes. Any developer (a.k.a. David, I guess ;) ) willing to put in the minimal
code to get a radio group here?

> Would be good to revive the example, at least with the a checkbox
> alternative (apply/don't apply must not applied as radio buttons).

Yes, would be good, but I guess we can live with the current one for now.

> Link: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Radio_Buttons

Thanks again!