[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue May 28 16:35:24 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 28 May 2013 15:48:19 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> * generic structure applied
> * old purpose "Check boxes are a widget to enable one or more options in a
> group."  replaced by "A ''check box'' is a control that permits the user to
> make multiple selections from a number of options. Check boxes are used to
> toggle an option on or off, or to select or deselect an item. Users make a
> decision between two clearly opposite choices (on (vs. off), apply (vs.
> don't apply), show (vs. hide). etc.). Check boxes are used to toggle an
> option on or off, or to select or deselect an item." -> Is it too much
> redundant?

This indeed makes it much more clear. The last sentence is exactly the same as
the second one, so I guess it can safely be left out ;)

> * added: "Don't use a check box if the opposite is ambiguous."
> * added: "Don't use the selection to perform commands or to dynamically
> display other controls and windows"

Hmm... I'm not sure about "dynamically display other controls". Does that mean
that controls which are only relevant if a certain feature is activated should
be greyed out in the deactivated case instead of hidden?
In that case, I'd add:
"If certain controls in a configuration dialog are only relevant if a certain
checkbox is checked (i.e. they are dependent controls), disable them instead
of hiding them if that checkbox is unchecked."
to make clear what should be done instead.

> * added: "Use the mixed state only to
> indicate that an option is set for some, but not all, child objects. Mixed
> state must not be used to represent a third state." * added: "Users must
> not be able to set a mixed state directly."
> * added: "Clicking a mixed state check box enabled all child objects. "
> * added: "Align groups of check boxes vertically rather than horizontally,
> as this makes them easier to scan visually. Use horizontal or rectangular
> alignments only if they greatly improve the layout of the window. "

+1 on all the others.

Thanks for improving this HIG!