[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Wed May 29 14:47:30 UTC 2013

Am 28.05.2013 18:35:24, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> This indeed makes it much more clear. The last sentence is exactly the same as
> the second one, so I guess it can safely be left out ;)

fixed
 > > * added: "Don't use the selection to perform commands or to dynamically
> > display other controls and windows"
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure about "dynamically display other controls". Does that mean
> that controls which are only relevant if a certain feature is activated should
> be greyed out in the deactivated case instead of hidden?

It means no action should be initiated immediately. E.g. if user checks "Show" the respective control must not be shown on click (but after confirmation). Additionally, the "Show" must not be replaced by "Hide" if the control is shown at the moment.

> "If certain controls in a configuration dialog are only relevant if a certain
> checkbox is checked (i.e. they are dependent controls), disable them instead
> of hiding them if that checkbox is unchecked."
> to make clear what should be done instead.

Does anybody really hide an item that is just disable?