[kde-guidelines] Slider and Spin Box Was: Current page suggestions

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri Jun 14 15:51:22 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 14. Juni 2013, 12:35:30 schrieb Todd Rme:
> I added a separate "Slider and Spin Box" page with more detailed
> information.  Please check it.  Also linked this article, the Slider
> article, and the Spin Box article to each other and made them a bit
> more consistent
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Slider_and_Spin_Box
Good idea. However, it needs illustration - especially the alignment
paragraph.

| Mark significant values along the length of the slider with text or tick
marks. For example the left, right and center points on an audio balance
control in Figure 6.7, “A simple slider control”.
I guess the reference can be removed, or not?

|Related Patterns
Though such a section seems to make sense, it's actually redundant to the
purpose. I'd remove the section.

Some unsorted thoughts:

A slider should be labeled at lower and upper bounds (min, max), show the
actual value, and a title. Is there any difference to the combined pattern?

I'm using 2nd level headlines, e.g. "== Purpose ==" (have changed yours), and
full references, e.g. "[[Projects/Usability/HIG/Check_Box| Check Box]]"
instead of "[[../Slider|Slider]]"; no idea if this matters.

What happens if I focus the SSB (slider/spin box)? Does the edit get the focus
or the slider? (I'd expect the edit since I'm using the keyboard in this
moment.)

Most important: Do we want to encourage the combined control? I would say yes.
Otherwise or if not always than perhaps because of limited space, and if many
values have to be changed.