[kde-guidelines] Current page suggestions

Todd Rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 10:35:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 June 2013 10:54:16 Todd Rme wrote:
>> 2. In the “two lists” page, it is unclear grammatically whether
>> allowing supporting drag-and-drop is mandatory or optional. It also
>> might be good to have separate “sortable single list” entry, and refer
>> people to the HIG on that for the right-hand list. There is also
>> nothing about the placement of the arrows, especially the up-down
>> arrows which are often placed inconsistently (i have seen right, top,
>> and bottom for sortable single lists).
>
> Good points! Feel free to update the pattern right away. Otherwise I'll do it
> when I find the time (probably this weekend).

Is drag-and-drop mandatory?  Also, where is the proper place to put
the arrows?  Is this a strict rule or should it be left to developers?

> Hmm, not sure if we should combine two widgets in one guideline. We'll have to
> think about it a little more, I guess. Cross-linking them definitely does make
> sense, though.
> These guidelines are still old, so we'll have to revise them at some point,
> anyway.anyway.

I added a separate "Slider and Spin Box" page with more detailed
information.  Please check it.  Also linked this article, the Slider
article, and the Spin Box article to each other and made them a bit
more consistent

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Slider_and_Spin_Box

>> 4. Should the “wording” page mention something about warning dialogs
>> for “delete”?
>
> Tbh: I don't get what you mean. Could you elaborate a bit more?

Deleting is a destructive action, should there be some mention that
this sort of action should normally use a confirmation dialog, with an
option to not show the dialog again?

>> 5. In the ellipses section, in the third entry you say not to use
>> ellipses with “Print”, but everywhere else on the page you say to use
>> ellipses with “Print”
>
> Well spotted! We need to make clear that it depends on whether the button
> opens a print dialog or prints immediately. Since the latter is rarely the
> case, maybe we should just remove it from the "Don't" section.

I just changed it to "Print Preview", since that is on the list of
things not to use ellipses for.

>> 8. I think the KNS entry should mention that there should always be a
>> button to install an item without using KNS (since KNS only works with
>> files hosted on the KNS page, which many files are not).
>
> Absolutely. Could you add that, please?

Done.  Please take a look at the wording and placement.