[kde-guidelines] Widget picker tree (was: Current page suggestions)

Todd Rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 09:40:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 June 2013 10:54:16 Todd Rme wrote:
>> 1. A lot of what I see with the widgets is “use this widget under this
>> circumstance, use this other widget under this other circumstance”.
>> This might lend itself to a decision tree, where the user selects from
>> a list of progressively more specific options until they get to a
>> single widget that is appropriate for what they want to do.
>
> True. Now we just need a good way to present that decision tree.

At least initially, it may be a simple series of web pages.  Each page
is a question, and each answer is a link, and that link takes you to
another page with another question and another set of answers/links,
which ultimately takes you to the page for the widget you want.

So an example might be:

Question: "What do you want the user to do"

Answers:
"Pick between two or more options"
"Select a number"
"Enter text"

Person clicks "Pick between two or more options"

Question: "Will this be in a menu or toolbar"?

Answer:
"Yes"
"No"

Person picks "No".

Question: "How many options do you want to give the user?"

Answers:
"2"
"3-5"
"6 or more"

Person picks "3-5"

Question: "Can the user select more than one option?"

Answers:
"Yes"
"No"

Person picks "No"

The person is then taken to the "Radio button" page.