[kde-guidelines] Widget picker tree (was: Current page suggestions)

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri Jun 14 16:06:32 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 14. Juni 2013, 11:40:15 schrieb Todd Rme:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 June 2013 10:54:16 Todd Rme wrote:
> >> 1. A lot of what I see with the widgets is “use this widget under this
> >> circumstance, use this other widget under this other circumstance”.
> >> This might lend itself to a decision tree, where the user selects from
> >> a list of progressively more specific options until they get to a
> >> single widget that is appropriate for what they want to do.
> >
> > True. Now we just need a good way to present that decision tree.
>
> At least initially, it may be a simple series of web pages.  Each page
> is a question, and each answer is a link, and that link takes you to
> another page with another question and another set of answers/links,
> which ultimately takes you to the page for the widget you want.

In my opinion the developer should know that tree intuitively. We have to
include rules into all HIG sections, as far as possible. For instance, I have
no idea what kind of navigation (tab, accordion, menu, link, dialog, etc.) I
should recommend in relation to circumstances, because it depends on a lot of
aspects. And even in case of single decisions, I believe that any definition
with precise numbers will fail (therefore I like verbal descriptions).