[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Jun 5 14:43:55 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 05 June 2013 16:32:57 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 05.06.2013 16:27, David Edmundson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Heiko Tietze
> >
> > <heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com> wrote:
> >> Based on recent mailing list discussion and blog comments I added (+) or
> >> changed (-/+) some bullets:
> >>
> >> + * Do not use sliding switches in Desktop applications. They only offer
> >> good user interaction on touch screens, so they should only be used in
> >> applications for [http://community.kde.org/Plasma| Plasma Active].>
> > That link is wrong.
> > Plasma Active is a subset of Plasma. Thomas, do you have something better?
>
> I've already changed that to Plasma/Active :)
> I've also corrected the link to the dual-list pattern.
>
> >> + * Do not add line breaks. If necessary place an additional label below
> >> the check box. - * Don't use a check box for more than 10 options, use a
> >> (drop-down) list. + * For more than five options, use either a
> >> [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Combo_Box| check box list]] or the
> >> [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Combo_Box| dual-list pattern]]. (Guidelines for
> >> these controls go to the respective entry.)
> >> +* Do not separate check box and label. Clicking on both the box and the
> >> label should toggle the option.>
> > We want to use the term "Buddy Widgets".
>
> Is that Qt slang which developers will understand? 'Cause I must admit
> that I don't ;)

In Qt slang, a QLabel can have a buddy QWidget. For example if I have a form
like this:

<pre>
first name:(1) |______| (2)
 last name:(3) |______| (4)
</pre>

Then the buddy of QLabel #1 is the QLineEdit #2, and the buddy of QLabel #3 is
the QLineEdit #4.

This buddy system is used for access keys: assuming the "f" in "first name:"
is the access key of QLabel #1, then pressing alt+f will put the focus on
QLineEdit #2.

Having said so, I don't think it is adapted to talk about buddy widgets in the
case of the text of a check box: QCheckBox has a "text" property, used to
define the text which appears on its right. This text is not a separate
widget.

Aurélien