[kde-guidelines] Conventions in the HIG

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Jun 5 15:05:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

Now that we are getting more and more stuff documented in the HIG, I think it
makes sense to adopt some standards: the sooner we do this the less we have to
fix.

= Terminology =
== "widget" vs "control" ==

I expect all Qt developers to be familiar with the word "widget" to refer to
what other OSes or toolkits call a "control". I would suggest using "widget"
everywhere.

== "checkbox" vs "check box" ==

(Yes, I am nitpicking)
Our new material is using "check box", while existing content is using
"checkbox". "Check box" sounds more english to me, but I am not a native
speaker (and it does not help that the GNOME HIG uses "check box" whereas
Apple HIG uses "checkbox").

I am happy to do the work of fixing this once we settle on a common word.

== Others ==

Any other terms we should standardize on?

= Screenshots =

Our current screenshots story is a mess. Some are mockups, some are done with
Designer using the Oxygen style, yet others are using Designer with the
Plastique style.

I personally think the HIG would look more polished with screenshots made
using Designer and the Oxygen style. It also will help developers to compare
their UI with our references. Furthermore, using Designer makes it easier to
adjust screenshots later. I understand Designer can be painful to use, I am
happy to help creating any Designer files if need be.

If you think Designer is really not adapted, then let's standardize on another
tool, though.

Aurélien