[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Balloon

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Jul 4 15:20:22 UTC 2013

On Thursday 04 July 2013 14:51:20 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> On Thursday 04 July 2013 14:43:35 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> > >
> > > Indeed. Those do not exist for now. Better remove the page until they
> > > do.
> >
> > It's a pity. So we do have only single line tooltip and infotips with
> > formattings, notification, and messagebox. Right?
>
> We also have KMessageWidget, which is probably what Celeste refers to when
> she writes about "info panels"
>
> http://agateau.com/2011/04/21/kde-ux-2011/kmessagewidget.png
>
> It has evolved a bit since this screenshot was taken: there is a subtle
> background gradient now, text color is a bit more readable and the icon on
> the left is gone by default, but can be set by applications.

Oh yes, we definitely need an HIG for those! They have a different purpose than
balloon tips, though. The message widget is for global information not tied to
a specific widget.

We do have the balloon tips in the Plasma Components (don't ask me what the
name of the component is, sadly I haven't written an Active HIG for it yet),
so QML UIs can offer them.