[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Balloon

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Thu Jul 4 17:22:33 UTC 2013

Am Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2013, 17:20:22 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> Oh yes, we definitely need an HIG for those! They have a different purpose
> than balloon tips, though. The message widget is for global information not
> tied to a specific widget.
The purpose of balloons is to acknowledge in case of non-critical problems,
like this KMessageWidget. The control implements functionality in contrast to
notifications that do not directly affect the workflow, in contrast to tips which
are user-triggered, and a message box that interrupts the workflow - all are
used to inform on different levels.

I'll rework the balloon tomorrow to match KMessageWidget.

> We do have the balloon tips in the Plasma Components (don't ask me what the
> name of the component is, sadly I haven't written an Active HIG for it yet),
> so QML UIs can offer them.
Should I keep the current stuff?