[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Wording

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 15:48:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Heiko Tietze
<heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com> wrote:
> Am 30.12.2013 11:21:48, schrieb David Edmundson:
>
> Where does the "configure" fit in?
>
> In every application I have open I see a menu called "Settings" and
> Configure Notifications, Configure Shortcuts, Configure AppName.
>

> To act in place of Celeste who wrote this text in 2008, I'd say the dialog
> that is opened by the 'configure something' command should be called
> 'Notification Settings' or 'Shortcut Options', respectively. On the other
> hand, if you suggest to remove those examples, I wouldn't intervene. But
> remind this part is just an example.

Un this particular case the examples don't really look to me like
examples of things in the main text they seem more like extra rules.

I think maybe we should drop those examples, and instead maybe give
some examples of language that is too formal, too informal and just
right.That's something I think needs explaining, and examples are the
best way to do that.

--

On the subject of the "settings vs configure"

Every KDE application has "configure notifications" because part of
KDE libraries automatically add that action with that name. In fact
most of the settings menu is autogenerated.

I'm concerned because this shows a wider problem. If we have
guidelines telling us developers do one thing, and code automagically
doing something completely different we are going to end up with:
1) the guidelines being completely ignored
2) a horrible mixture of implementations

We really need to increase communication between the two pools of
knowledge (HIG and KDE libs), and I'm not really sure how best to do
it?

David