[kde-guidelines] The principle of guidelines.kde.org -- one step further

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Sep 28 18:51:18 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 18.12, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 September 2004 04:08, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 September 2004 10:07, Frans Englich wrote:
> > > What do people think?
> >
> > this is a vision that i can get behind. i'd still like to commit to
> > www/areas/guidelines for now since that's already set up and lets us put
> > a few drafts out before putting it elsewhere

Assuming I understood correctly (leave developer.k.o where it is, create
guidelines, and then work on moving the developer.k.o site into the
areas/developer, in a coherent and managed structure, with "docbook inside"
and then eventually grouping all developer information there - did I
understand that right?)

What Aaron said.

I've very often said that developer.kde.org pretty much needs to be taken out
and shot though.   There's so much disorganised content there, and it's very
difficult to find any of it.

In fact, I'm willing to donate a server space to work on a rebuild.

First though, I need to go right now and finish up draft framework so that we
have something for Aaron to look at (and maybe commit

(boring technical talk from here on in)

The devil is in the details, but the details don't need to be set in stone
right now.  I'm not in love with cocoon, specifically - I don't see it
solving anything that xsltproc and a cronned make job with some creative
stylesheets can't solve.  I could be biased here, but my experiences with
cocoon just haven't been very pretty (and that sun resolver stuff is just
nasty nasty evil to work with), while I have seen websites bigger than ours
that build themselves other ways.

I do dislike too much dynamism in a site that is inherently quite static -
there are many pages on developer.k.o that in reality don't and won't change
from year to year.  Right now the problem is that you can't *find* the
content, not that it's changing too fast to keep up with.

So long as all the necessary files are created on a regular basis, a cron job
to run an update on any files that got a cvs checkin would minimise the load.
Note that docs.kde.org does *not* run this way (it runs the entire make docs
script on the entire docs repository, for mainly historic reasons) and it can
totally bring the webserver to it's knees. Since it's the same webserver as
developer.k.o, I can take a guess how well it's admins will like us loading
it up with more stuff.  (Can you say "not very much?")  Anyway, I'm not just
guessing on the kind of load this type of work will generate, unfortunately,
it's enormous.  XSLT processing, no matter what the processor, is highly
intensive, doing as little as possible of it, and only when required is a
good goal for a webserver admin.

The FreeBSD Doc's (and the rest of FreeBSD's site) are sort of
semi-static/semi-dynamic - they are XML built, and created from an XSLT
transform.  Much of it is docbook backed, and those parts generate chunked up
html, "all in one" html, pdf, ps, rtf, and even pdb files to read on your
palm pilot.  They don't do it dynamically every time you click a link, but
they do run every few hours, (and could easily be taught to only regenerate
docs that have changed.)    They do it using the infamously
just-about-as-hard-to-work-with-as-sun-resolver Jade, but we don't have to.

Finally there's also the advantage that a typo in say, a stylesheet, or an
inadvertantly invalid doc, won't make something inaccessible, since the
previous iteration is still there.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts