[kde-guidelines] The principle of guidelines.kde.org -- one step further

Thomas Zander TZander at factotummedia.nl
Tue Sep 28 19:13:31 CEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 06:51:18PM +0200, Lauri Watts wrote:
> I'm not in love with cocoon, specifically - I don't see it
> solving anything that xsltproc and a cronned make job with some creative
> stylesheets can't solve.  I could be biased here, but my experiences with
> cocoon just haven't been very pretty (and that sun resolver stuff is just
> nasty nasty evil to work with), while I have seen websites bigger than ours
> that build themselves other ways.
> So long as all the necessary files are created on a regular basis, a cron job
> to run an update on any files that got a cvs checkin would minimise the load.
> Note that docs.kde.org does *not* run this way (it runs the entire make docs
> script on the entire docs repository, for mainly historic reasons) and it can
> totally bring the webserver to it's knees. Since it's the same webserver as
> developer.k.o, I can take a guess how well it's admins will like us loading
> it up with more stuff.  (Can you say "not very much?")  Anyway, I'm not just
> guessing on the kind of load this type of work will generate, unfortunately,
> it's enormous.  XSLT processing, no matter what the processor, is highly
> intensive, doing as little as possible of it, and only when required is a
> good goal for a webserver admin.

This argument sounds like you know technology A, but have no real experience
with technology B and _think_ it will create a higher load.
I'm not convinced;  I've been working with Java for years and I dare put
forward that if a base memory requirement is reached Java is faster and
easier on CPU.  I know that many don't believe me when I say Java is faster
then a c/c++ application,  but I have had verious situations where it surely
is true!

I don't know Cocoon, but your judgement call above just does not feel right.

ps. I believe Frans mentioned Cocoon caches transforms; is that not your
experience with Cocoon?
--
Thomas Zander