Copyright holders [ was: [kde-guidelines] Licenses]

zander at kde.org zander at kde.org
Sun Oct 3 20:03:24 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 04:24:12PM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:

> Another legal issue is who should be copyright holders. I can't see how the
> traditional "those who have contributed substantially can add their name to
> the copyright list"-method shouldn't work. When I Docbook'ed and sanity
> edited the old HIG I set the copyright holder to "Usability Team", which
> Maksim objected to(and Thomas for that matter). My reply contains some food
> for thought, perhaps it applies to our future guidelines:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=109312400208766&w=2

I suggest you learn a big more about copyright; its just about the same over
the whole world so I can really advice this book (by an amarican lawyer)
http://www.free-culture.cc/freecontent/

Its an online PDF, and you can buy the dead-tree version as well.

If nothing more; then the general introduction to copyright shows how a name
is not needed for distribution at all, your action which you defend in the
email above, shows you missed the basis of how copyrights are affecting the
free-sharing of content.

--
Thomas Zander