Copyright holders [ was: [kde-guidelines] Licenses]

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Oct 3 20:46:30 CEST 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 18:03, zander at kde.org wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 04:24:12PM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> > Another legal issue is who should be copyright holders. I can't see how
> > the traditional "those who have contributed substantially can add their
> > name to the copyright list"-method shouldn't work. When I Docbook'ed and
> > sanity edited the old HIG I set the copyright holder to "Usability Team",
> > which Maksim objected to(and Thomas for that matter). My reply contains
> > some food for thought, perhaps it applies to our future guidelines:
> >
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=109312400208766&w=2
>
> I suggest you learn a big more about copyright;

<Snip>
> your action which you defend in
> the email above, shows you missed the basis of how copyrights are affecting
> the free-sharing of content.

Relax, I don't and didn't defend it. Maksim said basically "Why did you do
that? It's wrong", didn't say why, I motivated why I did it, and then asked
"How do you suggest it should be corrected?" There was no reply.

I didn't propose what that link contained. As said, "Food for thought".

I don't need to learn about copyright, in order for the guidelines to get
proper license notices. All it requires is that those who /do/ have the
knowledge points it out -- and you did that too.

Slightly off topic: It pissed you of that I made the copyrighter of the
docbook'ed HIG "Usability Team" while you had written large parts of it, and
asked me to be more respectful to people's copyright. The document had no
author, license, or copyright information and that's why it got the generic
copyright holder. I didn't do anything wrong -- it's standard procedure(such
as when there was license change in kdelibs) to go after such information
when there is one. Perhaps it's still against the law, though(is anonymous/no
copyright a valid copyrighter?). I suggest, you put author, license and
copyright information in documents you care about.

Thanks for the link BTW, it will surely be an enlightening read, once I've
found time for reading it.

Cheers,

	Frans