[kde-guidelines] Re: www/areas/guidelines/src

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Dec 13 14:04:23 CET 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 21:57, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 December 2004 20:55, Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Monday 06 December 2004 17:09, Lauri Watts wrote:
<snip>

> > index.docbook#43:
> > <!-- Include the Usability Book -->
> > <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
> > href="usability/index.docbook" />
> >
> > Naww :)
>
> Naww indeeed - this will be removed.  It's the result of me testing how
> well they'd work, and what issues they create.  The decision to use system
> entities stands,

No, here is no decision. Here is disagreement, and you are proceeding anyway.
There's just as much a decision on system entities as there is on
XInclusions, the difference is that you committed your preference. The only
one who have commented on this issue is me -- and I have disagreed.

We have discussed this: you have claimed XInclusions requires a DTD upgrade, I
explained it doesn't; you claimed it breaks validation, I explained it
doesn't; and your last argument have been that XIncludes isn't "KDE Standard
Procedures", and compared it to switching KDE from C++, which I of course
counter argued, but which you ignored.

The case of section vs sectX is similar; you argued that it was impossible to
write recursive templates, I explained it didn't, but you silently ignored
that too.

This is how it looks to me: you linger with whatever arguments, and when they
are properly counter acted and you can't come up with new ones, you ignore
the critisism. It looks like stubborness; you are even arguing against the
W3C and Docbook comittee. Why, Lauri? Is it some "pride" thing, that changing
opinion or going for someone else's proposal would undermine your "doc queen
status"? No? Well, then tell me why it's so hard to justify your opinions,
and to answer my mails.

This is similar to what I wrote in the two paragraphs in the previous letter,
but which you snipped and ignored.

In this letter you imply that you have issues with XInclusions. Then expose
them so we can work them out. I'll gladly put my knowledge to service -- just
as how you explains how KDE's doc system works.

Cheers,

		Frans