[kde-guidelines] Re: www/areas/guidelines/customization

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Tue Dec 7 23:46:58 CET 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 21:58, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Monday 06 December 2004 17:19, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > CVS commit by lauri:
> >
> > Support infrastructure for the new guidelines docs
> > Most of this is straight copy from kdelibs (after being put on a slight
> > diet) + db2latex
>
> Questions:
>
> * Couldn't the Docbook DTD/XSL in www/docbook/ be used? (and be
> complemented with what's missing, such as db2latex?)

Assuming this all stays hosted on the same machine, certainly that would work
fine.  In case they are not however, it's in my experience much simpler to
deal with a little duplication (especially to files such as these, which
should be rarely touched, and aren't all that big), to make it much more
streamlined and self-contained, so in order to move the entire thing only a
single directory needs to be checked out in one go.

> * I don't understand why the Docbook backend is dieted; to me it introduces
> the same problems as if one pulled out the and classes from kdelibs a
> particular program didn't need -- all the troubles that comes of running
> customized software instead of plain vanilla. Some of the XSLs weren't
> used, and others only ment a stylesheet compilation more or two -- no big
> deal.

Committing another 50 odd directories solely to support languages the
guidelines are not translated to yet, seemed silly to me - it was a huge
commit already.  They can be easily added on an as needed basis (the catalog
still contains them, and that is fine too, until a translation is available
for them.)  It's more like not packaging kde-i18n with kdebase in this case.

I further removed backwards compatibility with older DocBook DTD's - in this
controlled environment, there is no need to retain it (unlike the situation
with kdelibs, so don't even ask, it will not be removed there until KDE 4.0)

Then I left out a handful of textfiles from the xsl distribution.  I'm fairly
sure CVS will survive the excision of the XSL README just this once.

> * Regarding www/areas/guidelines/src/templates/* and the id names of the
> docbook sources, is it temporary/simply followed along, or how is it in
> relation to the guidelines Ellen outlined(with
> /usability/hig/src/GUIDELINES as background)?

It's temporarily, Ellen is entirely free to name id's as she likes, we already
discussed that on kde-guidelines.

> * Do you mind if I add XML declarations to docbook files, since that's now
> possible when we're using XInclusions?

Please don't.  We are not going to be using XIncludes.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org