[Kde-graphics-devel] KSnapshot screencast feature

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Tue Jul 14 10:00:56 CEST 2009

Qt-Recordmydesktop is cool (in python, IIRC, but it works really good for mee,
even allowing for the window selection). You could find some useful code in
there.

So you could add the glue layer from the ksnapshot application logic and the
'recordmydesktop' tool. Even check at runtime if suck a command exists on the
system and disable the screen recording if not.

So I'll vote for option 1, even if it's guaranteed to work on linux only. I
played with ffmpeg (option 3) in past and it's not that easy, the code is
tricky, handling all cases is a pita, and it relies on the codecs you have
installed, plus you'll have one more 'compile time' dependancy. But if you can
put a lot of efforts on this, then ffmpeg is again a nice choice.

Enrico

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 04:01:46 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Hi there!
> I've been researching a bit about screencast in gnu/linux, and I'd like to
> try to add it in ksnapshot, but I'm not sure which is the best way to do
> it.... so please, could someone give me a hint?
>
> Afaik there are 3 ways to record the desktop:
> 1-Create a ksnapshot backend using ffmpeg/recordmydesktop binary
> 2-Use the X11 libraries to get information, and a video (encode) library to
> write that information.
> 3-Use libavcodec (ffmpeg library) that already has all X11 /encoding stuff
> done.
>
> which one do you think that's the best approach? my guess is the third
> option.
>
> Thanks!

 Sponsor:
 Vieni in vacanza nei Riccione Family Hotels! Ti aspettano servizi per bambini, mini club e tanto divertimento! Prenota on-line la tua vacanza!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=9302&d=14-7