[Kde-graphics-devel] Anyone there? Does anyone have ideas toimplement KPDF like zooming in Konqueror?

Marcel Partap mpartap at gmx.net
Wed Mar 2 17:39:15 CET 2005

> transformation matrix. Another implementation of this idea is the Qt4
> rendering engine (Arthur).
Which is good :)

> By contrast, KHTML uses the normal Qt level QPainter
can this be changed?
> [...]
> scaling errors, or they may be displayed suboptimal because of scaling
> problems. For text output  you have to use scaled fonts (i.e. instead of
> rendering a 16pt font at 125 percent you ask Qt for a font of 20pts. Scaled
> fonts hae different font metrics, i.e. they scale not linearly.
Yeah, that's the problem we have right now, minus image scaling.

> I don't really think its a good idea. HTML was never designed to be a page
> oriented medium, so most of the existing HTML documents don't assume this.
They don't have to.
> However, they assume to have a fixed pixel based window width or base
> height, e.g. for naigation bars. This doesn'Ät mix well with a page based /
> Postscript like approach.
I don't think much has to change. The renderer would render the page
just like now at the default font size 100%, then display it PS-like
(with Arthur?). How and if exactly - sorry, I have no clue about the
KHTML interna, except that they work and rock (fast!).

Besides technical feasibility: what do you folk say about usability? Are
there any disadvantages?

Thank you very much Dirk for your resonse :D