Finding a new troubleless name for KSokoban

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Aug 31 22:44:37 BST 2022

Am Freitag, 26. August 2022, 14:35:18 CEST schrieb Karl Ove Hufthammer:
> Friedrich W. H. Kossebau skreiv 26.08.2022 14:09:
> > Am Freitag, 26. August 2022, 08:40:38 CEST schrieb Ian Wadham:
> >> May I suggest PushPush — because that is mostly what you do… ?  Or
> >> KPushPush if you must, or just KPush…
> >
> > Also nice I think 😄 Yes, push-push that feels like what the game is about
> > partially :P
>
> Yes, Push-Push could work. (I think I prefer leaving the hyphen in.)

Bah. Name sadly taken for an app already for some (Swiss) one about pushing
messages. So the English variant is blocked by what I can tell. Still to
explore are the non-English variants.

When it comes to hyphen in names, personally as try to avoid names which might
not be easy to map everywhere (e.g. when hyphen is not an allowed character).
Might be the code writer in me who has too often had hit related issues due to
clashes of _ vs - or not finding ids when grepping code :)

> > Any variant in another language which might rival that, by phonetic or
> > lexical "beauty"?
>
> I don’t think they are more beautiful, but for Norwegian, we have the
> following words meaning ‘push’ (imperative form):
>
> Skuv
> Skyv
> Skubb (usually a more sudden push)
> Dytt (usually a softer push)
> Puff (softer, usually using only one hand)

Thanks. Not immediately catching up with me, also due to no reference of the
implementation right now to the Norwegian language, but noted for later.

> BTW, the kde-games-devel list probably isn’t *that* heavily populated,
> so you might consider creating a blog post (planet.kde.org) or a post at
> https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/ asking for suggestions about a new name
> for the game.

Agreed, going to later. Though first wanted to get the die-hard kde-games
contributors still around on the ML involved and see their 2 cents :)

Cheers
Friedrich