T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jul 19 22:54:21 BST 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  I get it, you think that there is or should be a meaningful difference between an application's icon and its logo, and that the breeze icon theme should be full of icons, not logos. But there doesn't seem to be much agreement with this idea: not among the current generation of VDG people; not even among some of the prior VDG people, who have complained about this to me; not among the developers of the apps in question who have complained about their current Breeze icons; not among users who file bug reports and complain about it. Furthermore, this proposed icon/logo split does not match the state of reality for most of the app ecosystem in the wider world; most apps use their icon as a logo, and design it accordingly to be able to serve both roles. And I'm not sure your counter-example of Firefox is something we want to emulate. For example, if I go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/mobile/, I see the following:

  F8729164: Screenshot_20200719_153303.jpeg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8729164>

  To me, this is weird: the same brand name ("Firefox") is displayed with two different icons on the same page (fine, one is an icon and one is a logo). If I saw this on https://kde.org/applications/, I would file a bug report. Mozilla's choice is not something I would call self-evidently better design. To me it looks weird and inconsistent. And I think the app icon looks much better than the logo, which is bland, indistinct, and bears no relation to the name (there's no fox, not even a stylized abstract one).

  I think you're a great designer and I would love for KDE to be able to continue benefiting from your expertise. But I think this will be difficult if it means that you're going to constantly try to push this idea of an app's icon not being its logo which does not seem to be very popular, because the conflict that it generates strains relationships, drives away conflict-averse people (as evidenced by people unsubscribing themselves from this Task), and makes you feel marginalized and unappreciated. That would be quite a shame and I hope we can figure out a way to continue working together.

  Regardless, let's do the design review for proposed new icons in the applicable merge requests themselves, not here.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243