Current status of the frameworks branch of kdelibs4-based games

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Mon Apr 10 10:08:39 UTC 2017

On Sonntag, 9. April 2017 22:08:55 CEST Luigi Toscano wrote:

> What I found can be summarized as:

> - the frameworks branches of at least 2 games can be merged even now to
> master; other 2 or 3 games requires not so extensive fixes by checking the
> porting TODO items (grep for "QT5").

You most likely did not mean it that way but I still want to point out that
the TODO items are no good measure for the porting status. When I had some
time to do some of the porting work, I made a table with steps I wanted to do
before calling it finished. I need to check if I still have that table.
Furthermore (and that's where the IRC meeting would come in) the games need to
work properly. The last game I worked on was Kigo and it basically worked. But
there were problems with the settings dialog. I saw the same kind of problem
in other games but then (unfortunately ;)) I got a new job and since then I
need to focus on learning the stuff we do here. If we did the IRC meeting on a
Saturday, I could probably attend and check what those problems were.

> Should we try to organize some IRC sessions to check the status and for
> bugfixes?

This is a good idea in general. Also for the already ported games, bug reports
are rolling in but ... well the team decreased in size dramatically since the
KDE4 porting times. So an IRC meeting might be sparsely visited.

> == kigo
> * relevant contributors to the frameworks branch: Laurent Montel, Frederik
> Schwarzer
> * all changes in master are in frameworks
> * no "QT5" porting notes
> * missing appdata file
> * no dependency on KDELibs4Support
> * starts and apparently works (but I don't know Go so much), with one
> runtime warning
> * *suggestion*: recheck the warning, add appdata and probably merge into
> master

Check the config dialog ... regarding theme settings, IIRC.

> == kolf
> * relevant contributors to the frameworks branch: Laurent Montel, Frederik
> Schwarzer
> * all changes in master are in frameworks
> * various "QT5" porting notes
> * missing appdata file
> * depends on KDELibs4Support
> * starts and apparently works, few runtime warnings
> * *suggestion*: check the porting notes and the runtime warnings

Kolf is a bad case. It has been inherently broken for many years and was fixed
a bit by copying in some locally modified version of Box2D. I tried to put in a
newer version once but failed due to missing understanding of all that stuff.
:D

In general I would have to check my table from back then to tell you more.
Unfortunately I do not have internet at home so I have to rely on my
workplace's internet and some free time at work.

Regards,
Frederik