[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:46:28 UTC 2015

Hi Frederik,

On 07/11/2015, at 10:58 AM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Please have a look at the frameworks branch of KMahjongg. Not all
> kdelibs4support things are gone, but getting rid of it might get a bit
> bigger, so I think it's OK keeping it for now.
>
> I played some games (lost all, but that's hardly a bug :D),
> saved/loaded games, used the editor, saved/loaded layouts (no idea how
> I can actually use a layout in the game, though) and all seemed
> alright.
>
> Please report all problems/question you have.

There is something I should tell you.  Back a few years ago, there was a
major branch in KMahjongg that never got merged into master.  The long
story is here:

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-games-devel/2015-January/011356.html
    KMahjongg archaeology

In essence, KMahjongg was ported to QGraphicsView, away from the
obsolete KGameCanvas graphics, but KMahjongg continues to be released
with the obsolete graphics and IMHO it should certainly not go forward into
KF5 in that state.  Indeed, I would say that things like KGameCanvas should
have been dropped from libkdegames years ago.

I set about doing something about the situation, but this is as far as I got:

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-games-devel/2015-January/011521.html
    Reviving KMahjongg port to QGraphicsView

The QGV version of KMahjongg ran well - I tested it thoroughly.  Unfortunately
it turned out that there were two sets of patches to fix various KMahjongg bugs:
some in the QGV branch already and some proposed against the master branch
by Jan-Peter Nilsson.

I was attempting to sort out the overlaps and conflicts, when I got diverted into
an extended effort of trying to get Frameworks, Qt5 and KDE apps working on
the Apple OS X platform (or even building, in my case) and I never got back
to KMahjongg.  Sorry.

BTW, I am not, nor ever have been, the official maintainer of KMahjongg.

Cheers, Ian W.