[Kde-games-devel] Merge frameworks in master

laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Thu Jan 1 08:48:56 UTC 2015

Le Thursday 01 January 2015 14:31:31 Ian Wadham a écrit :
> Hi Laurent,
>
> On 31/12/2014, at 5:23 PM, laurent Montel wrote:
> > Le Wednesday 31 December 2014 15:02:50 Ian Wadham a écrit :
> >> Thank you very much, Laurent, for all your work on this.  I particularly
> >> appreciate you tackling KGoldrunner and Palapeli, which are quite
> >> large code-bases.

> >> I am still the maintainer of KGoldrunner, KJumpingCube, KSudoku, Kubrick
> >> and Palapeli.
> >>
> >> Merging the Frameworks versions into master would make it impossible for
> >> me
> >> to work on them in the foreseeable future.  The reason is that I work on
> >> an
> >> Apple MacBook using OS X operating system and nobody has yet succeeded in
> >> building and running Frameworks-based applications on that platform.
> >>
> >> We have one guy (Marko Käning) working on it, but he is on Christmas
> >> holidays now.  He is using Bovo and KMahjongg as test cases.  Just before
> >> Christmas he reported that he had KMahjongg running, but it would not
> >> Quit
> >> properly…
> >
> > Ok but I can't help you in macosx support.
>
> We do not expect you to, Laurent… :-)
>
> >> So please, please hold your horses for now, Laurent… :-)  Please do not
> >> merge the frameworks branch into master.
> >
> > Ah.
> > So you don't think it”s a good idea to move theses applications to next
> > kf5
> > release ?
>
> I don't understand what it is that you would like to do.  In your original
> email you said:
>
>     "Now I would like to merge in master as I think it's a good idea to have
> it in next kde release 'kde-15.3„ kde-15.4„ I don't know when it will
> release.
>
>      What do you think about it ?"
>
> As far as I am aware, and I think I heard this from Albert on another list,
> there will be no further releases from master --- KDE 4.14 was the last
> one.  Indeed, if I understand correctly, the concept of "master" is
> obsolete in Frameworks/KF5 and releases are done from parallel
> repositories, e.g. Dr Konqi source code exists in the kde/kde-runtime
> repository and also (temporarily, I am told) in plasma-workspace repository
> on KF5.
>
> I am worried by what you meant by "merge in master" in the above.  If you
> meant frameworks+master -> master, I am against that, because I am using
> kdesrc-build to get code for the latest KDE 4 and cannot (yet) compile and
> use KF5 code on Apple OS X.  OTOH, if you meant frameworks+master ->
> frameworks, that is OK by me.  It will leave me shooting at a fixed target
> for any bug fixes or improvements I may write for the five games I
> maintain.

Kdesrc-build is able to build kde4 and kf5 if you want
I build kde4 and kf5 on my computer with kdesrc-build it's not a problem.

> I am not against releasing games to KF5, as long as you can do it without
> undercutting my work in KDE 4 on the Apple OS X platform

You still can.

> and as long as you
> or someone else can thoroughly test the KF5 versions.  I do not have that
> facility yet, nor can I offer support for the KF5 versions of the five
> games I maintain.

> If I do make changes to the five games, I will attempt to forward-port the
> changes, but I will be unable to test them on KF5.  There is some
> unfinished work in Palapeli, KJumpingCube and KSudoku, when I have time for
> it.

So the problem is “not merge your program” until you test it in the future on
kf5.
Ok so if we want to release some kdegame for 15.04 we can't release your
programs as libkdegame kde4 and kf5 can't co-install.

Or we need to wait for use kf5 kdegame in X.x release that all developper can
be able to use in kf5 before to release it in kf5 ?

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53,  http://www.kdab.fr