[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 11:22:57 UTC 2015

Hi Frederik,

On 04/12/2015, at 5:52 PM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> here is another image comparing the Classic tileset from its use in
> KMahjongg (left) and KShisen (right). Since I can only see this with
> the Classic theme, you might be right that there is a problem with the
> tileset itself. But the offset showing only in KMahjongg after the
> qgraphic merge indicates either that there is a problem in the
> qgraphics port or that the problem in the tileset only shows in the
> qgraphics port. :)

I think I can reproduce this on the master branch, as at KDE 4.14.3
(the latest KMahjongg that has been ported to MacPorts).  It does not
have qgraphic code in it.

I think it is a bug in KMahjongg's View Rotation menu options (shortcut
keys F and G).  Try hitting G 4 or 5 times in succession and observe what
happens to the 9 of Bamboos or the tail of the 1 of Characters.  The off-center
look does not happen with every orientation of the tiles and it ONLY seems
to happen with the Classic tiles (I tried three other sets: Alphabet, Default
and Egyptians).  Alphabet should be the most sensitive, if there is a bug in
the KMahjong code (on whatever branch), because the tileface pictures fill
the entire tileface area (opaque perimeter).

In Classic theme, rotate the tiles so that the shadows are on the south-west
corners.  Now click on the 9 of Bamboos.  As it highlights, you may see the
left-hand edge move… :-) … even the bottom edge too.

I think the problem is with the drawing or positioning of the 8 blank tiles with
shadows (4 orientations, each highlighted and unhighlighted) in
libkmahjongg/tilesets/classic.svg.  Some of the tileface pictures might be
out of alignment too, particularly the 9 of Bamboos.  I think KShisen is using
a pair of blank tiles from the SVG file with shadows at the south-east corner.

> I am not a graphics guy.

Me neither, nor am I an artist or an Inkscape expert.  And we no longer have
any artists on KDE Games.

> Once I lightened the shadow of those Classic
> tiles but it took me two days to produce a non-broken SVG file then. :)
> So I do not know where to look for hints regarding this issue.

Well, if you agree that the bug is likely to be in the Classic theme's tile
alignments, I might have a look to see if there is a quick fix in Inkscape.

Cheers, Ian W.