[Kde-games-devel] AI library in the gamelibs?

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jan 4 19:01:49 UTC 2014

On Saturday, January 04, 2014 00:49:56 Tom Vincent Peters wrote:
> Hi Inge,
>
> On 01/03/2014 10:29 PM, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > [...]  the question
> > is if I should just use it or if I should make some preparatory work to
> > include it in the games library.
> >
> > It supports the following features, which none of the current or
> > previous board games (like kenolaba), do:
> >
> > - time control of the engine, not just depth of thinking
> >
> > - Iteratively deepening alpha-beta search algorithm with lots of
> > optimizations
> >
> > - Opening book generation and use of the opening books in the game
> >
> > - Support for games with many different types of rule sets like loss vs
> > tie if no move is available, simple win/lose vs graded win/loss (like
> > chess and reversi, respectively), etc
> > [...]
>
> It would be great if you could put your code in the games library. That
> way I can use it for the very hard AI level in ksquares. I'm very
> interested in the time control and iteratively deepening alpha-beta
> search algorithm parts because that's just what I need to write a
> ksquares AI that compares to dabble [1]. It would be nice to rely on
> existing code instead of creating something from scratch, especially
> because I only have very limited time.

Sounds like there is a consensus to do it, only question is exactly how, then.
As Albert suggested, perhaps the best way is a separate repo.

Just one word of caution to you, Tom: This library is based on a strong alpha-
beta search engine.  But the weak part is combinatorial games like dots-and-
boxes. So you may have to extend it with something like that to make it
compeitive with Dabble. But that would indeed make it even more useful for
other games. I for one could use it for my Amazons program.

	-Inge