[Kde-games-devel] AI library in the gamelibs?

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jan 26 13:16:35 UTC 2014

On Saturday, January 04, 2014 20:01:49 Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Saturday, January 04, 2014 00:49:56 Tom Vincent Peters wrote:
> > Hi Inge,
> >
> > On 01/03/2014 10:29 PM, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > > [...]  the question
> > > is if I should just use it or if I should make some preparatory work to
> > > include it in the games library.
> > >
> > > It supports the following features, which none of the current or
> > > previous board games (like kenolaba), do:
> > >
> > > - time control of the engine, not just depth of thinking
> > >
> > > - Iteratively deepening alpha-beta search algorithm with lots of
> > > optimizations
> > >
> > > - Opening book generation and use of the opening books in the game
> > >
> > > - Support for games with many different types of rule sets like loss vs
> > > tie if no move is available, simple win/lose vs graded win/loss (like
> > > chess and reversi, respectively), etc
> > > [...]
> >
> > It would be great if you could put your code in the games library. That
> > way I can use it for the very hard AI level in ksquares. I'm very
> > interested in the time control and iteratively deepening alpha-beta
> > search algorithm parts because that's just what I need to write a
> > ksquares AI that compares to dabble [1]. It would be nice to rely on
> > existing code instead of creating something from scratch, especially
> > because I only have very limited time.
>
> Sounds like there is a consensus to do it, only question is exactly how,
> then. As Albert suggested, perhaps the best way is a separate repo.

Ok, a short status report.  Things are progressing nicely[1] and I will soon
have to start to use the library in a real application so that I can finalize
the API.  If there is anybody who wants to have their game get an AI boost,
let me know here and I will start working in a branch to work the new library
into the AI in question.

There are still lots of things to do before the first release can be done.  I
have identified a number of tasks and milestones in the TODO file, which should
be pretty understandable.

One suggestion of a game would be KJumpingCube which Ian talked about in
another part of this thread. Ian, what do you say?  Interested? If not, I will
probably continue by doing this to Kreversi. Remember, I will naturally work
in a branch so no disruption will happen to the game in question.  Any other
volunteers are encouraged to speak up now.

	-Inge

[1] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fingwa%2Flibkdeai.git