[Kde-games-devel] Gsoc

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon May 27 21:19:04 UTC 2013

El Dilluns, 27 de maig de 2013, a les 18:02:26, Roney Gomes va escriure:
> Hello Rajat.
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Rajat chawla <chawlarajat303 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I think I just found out the reason why KDE games is so isolated and so
> > less people are actively involved in it. I have no regrets that I
> > couldn't make it to gsoc this year but atleast I was active for a couple
> > of months. And I am shocked to see the person who got selected. Ha ha ha
> > I never saw him in mailing list, nor in irc's neither I found any
> > bugfixes by him. So many students were involved actively from not only
> > India but some other countries as well but I couldn't find a name of
> > single of them. I had thought of getting attached with kdegames for whole
> > of my life but now but I'll not even open the kde page again in my life.
> >
> > Seriously, I choose the wrong organisation where everything is prefixed.
> > Huh..
>
> I understand what you may be feeling, it's very understandable that
> you're angry and frustrated. Things like this tend to happen when we
> put much effort and expectations into something we really value.
> However, smart people know how bad anger is and how dangerous it is to
> do anything in the middle of an anger storm.
>
> With the right words, you could have raised an important debate to
> this list, talking about some of the problems we have but are never
> put into discussion.
>
> My opinion -- I'm talking only by myself here -- is that KDE Games
> doesn't get the right attention from the KDE community.

What do you mean by "KDE Games doesn't get the right attention from the KDE
community."?

> We lack
> leadership, we have no goals, we have no measures to attract more
> people to us. We had a maintainer, but he disappeared without
> explanation and a few ideas and goals have also gone with him.

All of that is true. How do we fix it?

> See, I'm also frustrated and at least irritated about how the project
> has been treated in the last months.

What do you mean "how the project has been treated in the last months."?

> GSoC was the best chance I had to
> work on something I really enjoy as well as an opportunity to keep my
> studies going.
>
> Like you, I didn't pass. That's OK, I won't argue against it. What
> disappoints me the most is that I didn't get a single reply to the
> e-mails I sent to the dev list,

Well, you bypassed that list and went to look for people with kdegames
experience (you don't expect a kdepim devel mentoring kdegames, right?)
outside of the kdegames mailing list, what kind of answer where you expecting
to get?

> not to mention that -- AFAIK -- we've
> got only one mentor this year. This project deserves more and I wish I
> could do more to the games I decided to maintain.

I wish we had more developers too, how does one find them? That's the hard
question.

> The only feedback I got was someone questioning me why I did not plan
> to work with QML. Well, did we discuss about that already?

Discuss about what?

> Is it a consensus that all games are going to be ported to QML anyway?

QML is a technology that may help some games. Might not help some others.

> How things are decided in this project?

this == "kdegames"? Well, they are decided as in all the KDE projects, a
mixture of mailing lists, irc, etc. and the mithycal "the one who does the
work decides [more than the one that doesn't do the work]"

> How transparent and open about GSoC KDE is?

You said you weren't arguing but you are now throwing accusations of not being
transparent and open, care to elaborate?

> Are there projects receiving more slots for their "importance"?

Other projects are receiving more slots because they have more mentors, maybe
you could have decided to be a mentor and BOOM! we might have ended up with
double the GSOCs.

Cheers,
  Albert