[Kde-games-devel] gsoc 2013 :port kde game to qml

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 01:52:56 UTC 2013

Hello Heena,

On 17/02/2013, at 6:06 AM, Roney Gomes wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Heena Mahour <heena393 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would be quite  happy to do it this year in gsoc 2013 ,if someone is
>> interested in mentoring this project in gsoc 2013 .
>
> Here are the links to both KNavalBattle's [1] and KBounce's [2] bugs list:
>
> [1] https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=kbattleship&component=general&resolution=---&list_id=517052
>
> [2] https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=kbounce&component=general&resolution=---&list_id=517053

And there are plenty of bugs to fix in other games … :-)

Heena, I think you must be referring to:
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2012/Ideas#Project:_Write_a_KDE_game_using_QML_.28.22Qt_Quick.22.29

That was one of last year's projects in GSoC 2012 for KDE Games.  If we run
it again for 2013, the project description needs a complete re-write --- more
precisely this time!  There were several misunderstandings about it last year.

We had two mentors and one co-mentor on KDE Games last year.

I was one of the mentors, but I will not be doing it again this year, firstly
because my time zone (Australia) limits communication with students
and secondly because it is "Winter of Code" in Australia and I got sick
right in the middle of GSoC.

We have not heard from our other mentor in quite a while.  He mentored
Viranch Mehta, who successfully concluded a QML project on KBreakout,
and is now our resident QML expert.

Maybe Viranch would like to be a mentor for a QML games project in 2013.
I am CC'ing him.  How about it , Viranch?

Meanwhile, Heena, your best chance of getting a GSoC project in KDE
Games or elsewhere in KDE, is to show us what you can do, as Roney
suggested.  I am appending some info about GSoC and KDE that should
help you get started.  It was written by one of KDE's leading mentors.

Cheers, Ian W.

<quote>

GSoC 2013 has only just been announced and we are currently creating
the list of ideas for GSoC which will be available as soon as KDE is
accepted as a participating project.

In the mean time I strongly suggest you read the KDE guide [1] first
and get familiar with KDE and its various projects as much as
possible. To be able to select a particular project you need to be
quite familiar with it, so make sure you learn as much as possible in
the mean time, mostly by using KDE and reading the documentation of
the various projects.

Getting not only familiar with the project but also get some first
coding experience and getting acquainted with the KDE developers is a
good idea, so please have a look at the Junior Jobs in Bugzilla [2]

You should also subscribe to the KDE SoC mailing list [3] where all
announcements regarding GSoC will be made.

Finally some important information regarding KDEs GSoC planning can be
found on the KDE Community wiki [4]

[1] http://flossmanuals.net/kde-guide/
[2] http://tinyurl.com/JuniorJobs-KDE