[Kde-games-devel] Review Board, Apple and a patch for Palapeli

Nemanja Hirsl nemhirsl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 21:13:19 UTC 2013

On Sunday, 22. December 2013. 11.54.02 Ian Wadham wrote:
> On 22/12/2013, at 7:49 AM, Nemanja Hirsl wrote:
> > On Monday, 16. December 2013. 10.10.48 Ian Wadham wrote:
> >> I plan to celebrate it by
> >> adding some features to Palapeli, fixing some bugs in games
> >> I maintain (KGoldrunner, Kubrick, KSudoku and KJumpingCube)
> >> and then retiring from KDE Games maintenance, hoping someone
> >> else can take over the games I maintain.
> >
> > I'll try, if time permits, to continue fixing bugs in some of games you maintain now.
>
> Thank you very much for this offer, Nemanja.  I was really hoping
> someone would take over.  It should be reasonably light work,
> unless there is a repeat of the problems we had when porting
> from KDE 3 and Qt 3 to KDE 4 and Qt 4 …  Several games had
> to be dropped from KDE Games because there were just not
> enough people to do the porting.  We lost backgammon, poker,
> KSokoban and even our Tetris clone (now replaced by KBlocks).
>
> KDE 5 and Qt 5 have me a bit worried …
>
> Recently I have been finding that quite a few bug reports against
> my games and others are fielded by triage guys and passed
> upstream, e.g. because there are problems in the graphics startup,
> so things have been fairly quiet for me bug-wise.

I really hope that loosing games will not happen again.

Mention of "light work" and "things have been fairly quiet for me bug-wise" is encouraging. I still have a number of low priority bugs to fix in Ksirk and hopefully small number of new bugs for games you maintain now won't be an overhead. As I usually use weekends for KDE games, replying to emails or submitting bugfixes might not be prompt, but eventually they will arrive :) . This weekend I used to browse through the code of KSudoku and KJumpingCube...

> > It would be good if you could create reviews for bugfixes you plan to commit and make take over easier for us.
>
> What would be the advantages for you of using Review Board, as
> opposed to reading diffs in the on-line repository?  I find it easier just
> to commit and push bug fixes.
>
> Review Board allows for discussion of changes, but quite often
> reviews go unanswered (we are *all* busy and short-handed at
> KDE Games), so why go the extra mile?

The advantage of using Review Board may be visibility. This way we might draw people's attention and someone else might step up and get involved. Although, simple email to the list might have the same effect :)

What I usually do is just to download diffs and apply to code, all other debugging, analyzing and testing I do offline. In this context I don't need Review Board, and if it is easier for you to commit and push, I'm OK with that.

Regards,
Nemanja