[Kde-games-devel] Junior job not only for GSoCers: Low-latency sound playback with KgSound

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 04:11:30 UTC 2012

On 22/03/2012, at 11:27 AM, Roney Gomes wrote:

> On 03/21/2012 05:17 AM, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> In fact, there's a bug right there!  By brute force, you got it to work, but the intent of
>> KStandardDirs::locate is that it should find files of a required type ("sound" in this
>> case) in ANY configuration.  On my Macbook, the Macports package installation
>> for KDE Games puts the Kapman sounds in /opt/local/share/sounds/kapman, but
>> I expect the filepath is very different for you.
>
> But the bug is not in the code, is it?

No offence meant, but *if* there is a hard-coded path in the code, that is a no-no in KDE.
That's why I called it a bug.  It's OK to use something like that, so as to get a result on
your own machine - and you have done well - but it is not for distribution.

> I thought that $KDEDIR's value was something universal to any KDE based system,
> and not user dependent. Then, my question was to discover what was that value, so
> I could properly configure everything over here.

I sent you a private email on 10 March (maybe 9 March Brazil time) with subject "GSoC
Applicant Asking For Help" and an attached file "my-setup".  That file is my setup for
$KDEDIR, etc.  You will need to tailor it for your own use.  The "GettingStarted" links
in that email have more advice and examples about where to put your dev files.  My
setup file is a very non-typical Macbook one.

One problem may be that Kapman uses a "sounds" area.  Other games do not.  They put
sounds in an "appdata" area, along with graphics themes and levels data.  I don't know if
a .my-setup file would need another line to access a sounds area, but I do not think so.

Another problem might be that the Kapman sound files are not being put where your test-version
of the game can see them.  Maybe, if you have an active $KDEDIR area, you are missing a
"make install" that puts the required level data, graphics and sound into that area.  I guess
the "sounds" area would be $KDEDIR/share/sounds.  Do you see a "kapman" directory there?

> I've sent a commit to the review board yesterday, here follows the link: https://svn.reviewboard.kde.org/r/6914/

Sorry, I cannot access that link.  Did you set up KDE Games as the reviewer-group?  If so, I think
we should get an automatic email to the KDE Games list about the review, but we have not.

Persevere, Roney.  You are nearly all the way to the finishing line … :-)

Cheers, Ian W.