[Kde-games-devel] [GSoC 2012] KDE game using QML ("Qt Quick")

Supreet Pal Singh supreetpal at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 21:00:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Stefan Majewsky <
stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Supreet Pal Singh <supreetpal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I would appreciate a quick reply either directing me to the email
> address of
> > the mentor
>
> We don't have one at the moment. I wrote the idea, but will not have
> time to mentor it. Since most of the project is not kdegames-specific
> (e.g. QML use is very widespread among Plasma devs), we hope for a
> mentor from some other area of the KDE community to step up when we
> have a good proposal.

Do you recommend me approaching the plasma devs now or after we have final
proposal?

> > or preferably some directions on how to go about the project.
>
> Okay, that's going to be a long text.
>
> Since you already have experience with QML, I'd suggest you think
> about which game you want to do. Although it is very exciting to
> create a new game from scratch, we had quite some bad experiences with
> new games being written by GSoC students. It will therefore increase
> your chances if you propose to port an existing game to QML.
>
> All current games, along with their current graphics stack, are listed
> on [1]. Maintainers can be seen in the list at [2]. We would very much
> appreciate if the game to be ported would be one which uses
> KGameCanvas at the moment. This framework can be understood as a very
> simple replacement for QGraphicsView, and is considered deprecated, so
> we would like to eliminate uses of it.

 I believe it would be safer to use an existing game. It would be nice if a
maintainer whose game is based on KGameCanvas posted in this thread , since
i don't have any bias and it would make the work faster.

> It will help your proposal if you know your way around the game on
> which you plan to work. Most of our games have open bug reports and
> feature requests on bugs.kde.org. Look for some junior job and submit
> a patch at svn.reviewboard.kde.org if you like.
>
> No git? :(

> Since you need to present a tentative timeline for your project, I'll
> give some remarks on that as well: Although I'm not that familiar with
> QML, I expect that porting a normal-sized game should not take you
> more than half of the GSoC time when you're already experienced with
> QML.
>
> That's why we want more out of this project: After having finished the
> QML port, you should be prepared to give some recommendations on how
> to adjust our libraries for usage with QML. Stuff like: "The way this
> and that class works does not fit into the QML workflow, for this and
> that reason." And perhaps even: "I suggest this and that change to the
> library to make it integrate well with QML."
>
> What's the reasoning behind this? In the 4.9 iteration, we're breaking
> binary and source compatibility in libkdegames to do some major
> cleanup. [3] While we're doing this, we're also keeping an eye on QML
> preparedness. We do not expect the result (i.e. what will be released
> with 4.9) to be QML-friendly already, but it should allow us (and
> you!) to build first QML-based code upon it. By the time of the 5.0
> release, when we have another opportunity for ABI breakage, we want to
> know which changes need to be made.
>
> So it really is a long text, with a lot of bla-bla-bla and
> yadda-yadda-yadda which you probably don't even need to know about,
> but it's always nice to have such a text available for reference. If I
> forgot anything which is of interest, please do not hesitate to write
> back. Please direct your answers to the mailing list instead of my
> personal address, my availability is currently limited during the
> workweek.

I understand , I will try and make sure that the text is as comprehensible
and useful as possible because it seems to be the main motive of this
project. :)

> Greetings
> Stefan
>
> [1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Porting