[Kde-games-devel] Minutes from the kdegames BoF

Mathias Kraus k.hias at gmx.de
Sat Jul 7 11:21:46 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2012, 13:02:10 schrieb Stefan Majewsky:
> Moin moin,
>
> Albert, Sune and me had a BoF about kdegames and everything, and these
> are the main points we would like to see further discussion about:
>
> 1. It would be nice to have a games bug triaging day after the 4.9
> release (great for marketing: "Fun bug fixing!"). A cleaned up bug
> database would help identify which games are in need of attention, so
> we as a team can try to assign some priority to them.
>
> 2. The maintainers list http://community.kde.org/KDE_Games/Maintainers
> partially contains data from several years ago. We should consider
> pinging the maintainers, and then really unconditionally remove them
> from the list if they don't update the timestamp and thus commit to
> their continued maintainership.

But what to do with unmaintained games? Keep them in kdegames or
remove them.
I'm in favour of removing them, maybe after announcing it on dot.kde.org
or planetkde. This might result in some people stepping in and taking
maintainership.

> 3. I heard of people who wanted to write new games, but did not do so
> because of our policy of not including new games. We should refine our
> messaging about this new policy: It seems not to be clear to outside
> contributors that there is no "access restriction" to extragear/games.

I think there is one big reason people want to get their game in kdegames,
it is the conveniece to not have to care about releasing. You can just code
and everything else is done by KDE.
Furthermore there is the broad distribution when released with KDE SC.
The game reaches much more people than from extragear.
Therefore I think extragear/games is less attactive for contributors
than kdegames.

> 4. Albert asked about our strategy for mobile platforms. There are
> valid arguments for and against going mobile ("we lack manpower
> already" vs. "this can attract new developers"). Did we ever have a
> thorough discussion about this?

Well, I think going mobile means going QML first and that is a huge porting
efford and will take time.
On the other side, QML might help to to attract new developers, since it
is the new shiny thing and maybe we can convice some people learning
QML by porting some games.