[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Christian Krippendorf Coding at Christian-Krippendorf.de
Tue Jan 31 14:24:02 UTC 2012

On 31.01.2012 14:50, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Christian Krippendorf
> <Coding at christian-krippendorf.de>  wrote:
>> 500MB isn't really much today
> Although you have a point in that technology moves, I disagree with
> your position.
>
> Since kdegames is so low on staff, we need to keep the potential
> drive-by contributor in mind. If the bootstrap for a drive-by
> contribution involves a 500 MB download, we pose a high entry barrier:
> Consider a (stable!) 2 Mbit/s connection, as it is still common here
> in rural regions of industrialized Germany. 2 Mbit/s is a quarter MB
> per second, thus 500 MB are transferred (under absolutely ideal
> conditions) in 2000 seconds, that is: 33 minutes. Because the
> connection is ideal, it'll take about 45 minutes. Unacceptable!
>
> Even with my 16 Mbit/s connection (that's about top notch in Germany),
> the download time is approximately 5.6 minutes. That's still enough
> time for me to forget what I was about to contribute.
But it happens just one time... u get other things speed up while doing
your work on a already cloned repo. Having this download every time will
be really bad, but just one time. This is why i think so.

> I remember that someone already had done svn2git rules for split repos
> (Frederik?). Do the resulting repos exist anywhere? If they cannot be
> cloned from my site, can someone with access please do the following:
>
> for repo in bomber bovo ...; do
>      cd /path/to/$repo
>      git repack -adf&&  git prune
>      du -hs $repo/.git
> done
>
> I think the repo of one game, complete with artwork and other data
> files, should not exceed 30 megabytes. That's already two minutes of
> download on a 2 Mbit/s line. If some repos come near or exceed this
> point, these should be split into code and data repos.
>
> Greetings
> Stefan

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Christian Krippendorf