[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:33:23 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012, at 10:53 PM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012, 02:14:19 schrieb Ian Wadham:
>> Re the data-files problem, why bother with the history? I see
>> on http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/MoveToGit/UsingSvn2Git that you
>> can select the revisions you want, so why not just archive earlier
>> data files on SVN or its branches?  How often do you really need
>> that history? Is it a big problem to follow another link to get
>> it?
> Given that SVN is supposed to go away, that's not an option.
> Amarok created two repos. "amarok" and "history".
> https://gitorious.org/amarok
> The "amarok" history only goes back to 2010 or so.
> (gitorious sucks, btw, so I cannot go further back)
>
> I do not think something like that would be needed for the games
> though. If each game has its own repo, then size is no concern (unless
> proven otherwise by the actual trial run, of course).

I was thinking here of an *archive*: frozen and read-only by definition.
Take all data files after some point (e.g. KDE SC 4.7.0 release) into git:
leave the rest in the SVN archive.

Such an SVN archive should be accessible only via WebSVN or at most
anonsvn, i.e. no commits, near-zero admin, just a hunk of disk space
somewhere on the Web.

Or maybe the old stuff could be held off-line somewhere and available
(selected parts only) on request to sys admins.

Both approaches work.  I have used them on previous projects.

Cheers, Ian W.