[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 22:55:15 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012, at 10:53 PM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012, 02:14:19 schrieb Ian Wadham:
>> Re the move to git, I cannot see any real benefit in it, neither
>> for myself nor for the group, so why do it?
>
> A man here once tried get rid of his garbage can. He did not use it at
> all. He brought his daily oddments diectly to the waste management
> company. Nevertheless the court ruled … <big snip>

Thank you very much, Frederik, for taking the time and trouble to explain
the git move and the reasons behind it to me.  And I am glad you got your
"w" back.  You were Frederik Scharzer for a few days … :-)

>> I do not want us to repeat any of the problems that
>> arose in the first release of KDE with git repositories, nor any of
>> the build problems I encountered early last year in trying to
>> build Phonon, KDE libs and all its dependencies after they had
>> been ported to git. There were teething problems there.
>
> I would rather compare our approach to move with what happened in
> kdeedu. I am not sure how it went there, but everyone had gathered
> some experience with the steps needed to migrate so I guess it went
> way smoother than the first few modules/apps.
>
> The migration will affect us, like every change does. But a change is
> not what brings things down. It's the way the people cope with it. So
> it is important that we stick together and do not attack each other
> for "being wrong" or "discussing too much" or "being a fanboy" and
> stuff like that.

I agree.  As I have said, I am happy to go along with the team, even if
I am old and getting weary of changing from one source code control
system to another.

I think git will be my tenth, going back to 1965 and the punched card era,
before UNIX … :-)  Mind you, the source code I was working on then was
for one of the world's first operating systems that supported multi-processing
and interactive (character) displays, so perhaps I have helped make a rod
for my own back … :-)

> Git is just another tool. Just like SVN, it works.
> Some prefer gas stoves, some prefer electric stoves. But everyone is
> able to prepare a meal on each of those if they just stop arguing and
> start cooking.

Yes, exactly.  Tools are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

I like to spend as little time as possible on changing tools (or any sort of
admin or housekeeping) and get on with designing and writing software
(that which changes bytes on users' screens and printers).  I was just
worried the change to git would generate a lot of work for me for no
great gain and for no very good reason.  Thank you again, Frederik.

All the best, Ian W.