[Kde-games-devel] Move to git now?

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Fri Feb 3 23:17:59 UTC 2012

Am Samstag, 4. Februar 2012, 08:33:23 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> Such an SVN archive should be accessible only via WebSVN or at most
> anonsvn, i.e. no commits, near-zero admin, just a hunk of disk space
> somewhere on the Web.

if there are no commits, what are the advantages of svn over git?
I believe the problem git has is with changing binaries, not with
binaries per se.

especially that this would be to stay for a long time. I would be
surprised if KDE administrators would accept newly introduced
svn repositories.

not that I like this idea... most data files are SVG and if during
conversion to git all ancient versions of them are recompressed
with 0% keeping their names as svgz as proposed by PovAddict,
git can compress them and their diffs just as well as any text file.

unless tests prove otherwise, I cannot see any advantages in this
archive.

--
Wolfgang