[Kde-games-devel] Problems with standalone KDE Game build

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 08:38:11 UTC 2012

On 26/08/2012, at 4:30 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 26. August 2012, 12:11:47 schrieb Ian Wadham:
>> On 26/08/2012, at 2:27 AM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
>> Well, "sort this out in time" presumably means "before the move to GIT".
>> Has anybody tried standalone builds of individual games before now?
>
> Parker compiled them all, I compiled a few.
>
> your environment is different from mine in that it has different versions
> installed in parallel - I don't have that, and I would rather not try that
> on my system. I'd have to setup a virtual machine and try there, but - no
> time for that currently, sorry!
>
> Just one question - do other games compile and install correctly?
> And maybe some other project like okular - how does that behave?

No.  KPat and KReversi fail in exactly the same way - picking up old
incompatible includes of KDE Games libs (KGameRenderer specifically)
from my "distro" installation of KDE.  I too am short of time and have already
wasted enough of it on this (about 2 days so far), so I will not test more
games.  Okular I do not have.  Don't even know what it is.

FWIW the setup I am using is very much the same as I have had on Linux
for more years than I can remember and I would expect my Linux setup to
fail in the much same way.  There, as on Apple, I had released and distributed
versions of Qt and KDE installed, including some KDE Games that I like to
play, and development versions of the KDE Games module source code.

Before now, my environment *always* picked up KDE Games include-files
from trunk rather than released and installed areas.  Even now it *only* fails
if I use the standalone build.  That build should honour $KDEDIR and
$KDEDIRS, if defined, as the preferred places to obtain include-files,
executables and scripts, as well as the preferred place to install things.
That is what $KDEDIR and $KDEDIRS are for, aren't they?

I do not expect you, Wolfgang, to take responsibility for "sorting out" the
CMake code, but until somebody does, you will not find me moving to GIT.

Where is Stefan when you need him?  Last heard, he was on his blog
saying, "I haven't blogged since a while, because I do not do much KDE
hacking lately, but today I've got around to playing with QML again."
(18 August).

Well, I have received some GSoC work which he instigated, including
some QML work, and I have some problems with the CMake changes
he dropped on us and then disappeared and you and Parker are holding
the baby with respect to the move to GIT that he was so passionate about.

So I think it is time he reappeared, took an interest and helped out with
some of the problems, don't you?

All the best, Ian W.