[Kde-games-devel] kdegames / git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 03:41:31 UTC 2012

On 16/08/2012, at 8:39 PM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> This shows two root commits for knavalbattle. Sources have been
> imported twice, the second one being a rewrite and merged
> with the first one. So IMHO this is correct. Or should the second
> root commit have the chronologically previous commit as parent?
> This really is a massive rewrite.

Following up the output from your mysterious "git log … | grep …":

5ccdbce has date 5 Nov 2000, rev 69973, and is presumably the
    original commit.

3d3e824 has date 24 Mar 2007 and says Paolo Capriotti * Imported
    KBattleShip rewrite snapshot (revision=646119).
    svn path=/branches/work/kbattleship4/kdegames/kbattleship/

I think what happened is that Paolo took the whole game offline and
rewrote it for Qt 4 and KDE 4, then committed a "snapshot" of what he
had done.  Strange things happened in history that might not happen
nowadays, but I think we will have to live with this one.

I notice that there is a history just before March 2007 of KBattleShip
giving troubles with a more gradual transition to Qt 4, KDE 4 and
CMake.  So maybe that is why the more drastic action was taken.

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S. How does that mysterious command work?  Why does it produce
only one or two lines of output, each with only only one field, not two?