[Kde-games-devel] kgoldrunner for git

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:43:18 UTC 2012

Hi Wolfgang,

And thanks for all your brilliant and dedicated work on converting
so many games to git.

Firstly, my optusnet email address expired a couple of years ago.
I am now on iandw.au at gmail.com

On 14/08/2012, at 5:25 AM, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> I uploaded a new version at
> git clone git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/wrohdewald/kgoldrunner
>
> (and I just checked, it is actually downloadable from anongit)

I will have a look at it during the next few days.  And yes, anongit does work
for me on a good day … :-)  I also tried to clone the KSokoban scratch using
my own KDE account name (ianw), but could not find the right syntax …

> this now includes the work branches work/kgoldrunner and work/kgoldrunner-qgv

The work/kgoldrunner-qgv branch is rather dynamic at the moment and might
be so for a few weeks yet.  This is "pencils down" week on GSoC and activity
on porting KGoldrunner to QGV is becoming rather intense.

> kgoldrunner is a bit special because playground has been used for rewriting
> the game while trunk was still maintained, no other game has done that AFAIK

I do not remember ever having KGoldrunner in playground.  When was that?

I just remember the work/kgoldrunner branch and having a difficult job merging
it back in, mainly due to scripty commits IIRC.  My apologies if my fumbling with
that branch and merge has caused you difficulties, Wolfgang.

> Since you certainly know most about its history, can you please have a look at this?

OK.  I am mainly concerned that the final compare between git and SVN trunk will
be byte-perfect.  Are we assured of that?  I was worried by something you said a
day or two ago about the file game_CM.txt.  The encoding of game levels is very
sensitive to unintentional changes --- even of a single byte.

Re the history, if the work of all the people who helped with KGr a few years back is
faithfully recorded, I will be very happy.

> I will then push most other games except for 2 or 3 I am still working on.

That word "push" has an "h for human" in it, but what does it really mean?  Are you
going to switch most of KDE Games trunk over to git one night (or day, here in
Australia)?  Will we get some notice?  Is there a plan?

ATM I know nothing of git and it would hit me hard to wake up one morning and
find that the change had happened overnight.  I am doing quite a lot of work on
KJumpingCube and KGoldrunner right now and am also rather busy in GSoc and
other personal areas.  I will be too busy to be wanting to learn yet another source
code control system just yet.

Thanks again for all your work, Wolfgang.

Cheers, Ian W.