[Kde-games-devel] ksokoban

Kantacki kantacki at o2.pl
Fri Aug 3 19:58:49 UTC 2012

W dniu 2012-08-03 04:17, Ian Wadham pisze:
> Let me say this up front … although I am the oldest KDE Games
> and perhaps the longest-serving in the group, I am not in charge.
> Nobody is.  We decide things by discussion and consensus here,
> within policies of the KDE group as a whole.  Several years ago
> the consensus was to let KSokoban go.  I was sad to see that
> happen.  Maybe the consensus would be different today.
>
> In my earlier email, I have laid out what I understand to be the
> situation re KSokoban and Magazynier.
>
> What do others think?
>
> On 03/08/2012, at 8:40 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> El Dijous, 2 d'agost de 2012, a les 20:38:16, Kantacki va escriure:
>>> All I can offer is better adaptation of KSokoban to KDE4 (excluding
>>> images) and better look in bigger screen resolutions (recreating images
>>> in bigger resolutions in povray).
> That could be good.  IIRC the background in KSokoban has gone wrong, BTW.
> It should be a galaxy and nebula view, but it has been tiled, so you get repeating
> small pixmaps.  The problem is that the original background does not have enough
> pixels.  It should not be hard to find a more detailed star field somewhere.  Also,
> it might look better if the floor of the warehouse was transparent, so you could
> see more of the back ground.  Just a suggestion.
>
>>> Your email suggests that you do not want to see KSokoban in kde-games.
> Well, speaking personally, I would prefer to see Magazynier completed.  But if
> that is not possible …
Well it is possible under suitable conditions which I wrote and I know
that in open source there are two groups of people, those who write code
and live from donations and those who code for fun or its own purpose.
So I simply defined myself about what you can expect from my side.

>>> I ported ksokoban to KDE4 because I use it and due to problems with old
>>> version KSokoban in new Linux distributions porting was neccessary.
> Well, yes, we all know how you feel and we all have our favourite games.
>
> But we are also dedicated to producing games that can be released by any
> distro, will run on any platform and can be translated into many languages,
> with a KDE look and feel and a choice of nice graphics.
>
> It is also desirable to be able to add level sets without re-coding (or even to
> have a game editor).  IIUC Sokoban has lots of levels out there on the Internet
> and the file format KSokoban uses is also in common use.

I had already asked for permisiom to David W. Skinner and He gave me his
blessing for usage his Sasquatch/Microbean levels.
And in current version KSokoban allows reading external levels from file.

>>> I could take care of Magazynier but only for money because I do not use
>>> it and do not need it.
> We do not work for money.  If you are enjoying KSokoban, it is because
> some people put a lot of free time into developing and maintaining it.
You mean "We" as kde-games developers, do you?
>>> For me KSokoban, especially its graphics is the best from all known
>>> sokoban games.
>>> So please confirm that you are not interested in KSokoban and I will not
>>> bother anymore on this list
>> What part of
>>
>> "Why is this development happening in sourceforge instead of in kde.org git
>> repos?"
>>
>> Makes you think we are not interested?
Thank you for your explanation in this matter.
Part of your email suggested that you treat KSokoban as dinosaur and
Magazynier is its successor and you do not wish to see KSokoban anymore
in kde-games.
But you are right the other part says something else so the whole
message was inconsistent and I was simply rather pesimistic than optimistic.

> Absolutely.  And if you wish to go on working on KSokoban, we should
> get you the last known version of the source code from the "unmaintained"
> part of the KDE SVN repository, maybe into playground.  Amongst other
> things, the history includes a whole lot of extra levels, which were
> inexplicably removed when the Sasquatch levels came in.
>
> BTW, KSokoban does not have to go back into KDE Games.  It could go
> into KDE extragear, where the rules about releases, etc. are less strict.
>
> Cheers, Ian W.

I would rather to see the great return in kde-games :)
And I know that KSokoban is not so modern but usability is the most
important for end users.
End user is not interested for structure of the source code.
Maintainability is important for coders who maintain the source code,
Magazynier does not have its maintainer KSokoban has at least for now.