[Kde-games-devel] Data files and the Git move

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 01:23:50 UTC 2011

On 22/10/2011, at 1:35 AM, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWICS the benefits (to me) of changing would be measured in seconds
>> here and there, as opposed to hours or days making the change, getting
>> up to speed on git, etc.  This is time that I can not afford at present, especially
>> on something so unproductive and with such negative cost/benefit.
>
> Add to that equation that I'm sitting on work branches which I cannot push
> because of stupid SVN, and you'll arrive at a different result. I'm
> not saying we should do it before the feature freeze, but it has to
> happen at some point, and judging from our current attitude we'll also
> miss the perfect timeframe when the 4.8 release is just out of the
> door.

Well, I was feeling a bit grumpy that day and I still am.  I have a new
PC-compatible laptop and have got Windows 7 going (errrkkk!). [1]
Now I am back to battling with MS Access and my 1 Nov deadline
for updating my membership system looms.  I guess Codd invented
outer joins and nulls to punish old programmers like me for their sins ... :-)

I was really hoping you would give some love to Palapeli and Kolf
and maybe put TagaroAudio in the KDE Games library, but perhaps
those are the work branches you are sitting on ... (?)

Anyway, what are you going to do about the data files move and when?
You have not answered my questions on the other thread: "Module
layout proposal: Split kdegames-data from kdegames".

If you are just going to re-arrange SVN and can do that without too
much disruption of upcoming commits and preparation for freezes, go
ahead.  I won't say, "Make my day!" but I would hate you to lose a leg
over this ... :-)

BTW, could you give a list of points (from a KDE Games point of view)
of what is so great about git?

I did read about it in the middle of last year and tried it out, but then I
got involved in some legal hassles, went on a trip to Iran, celebrated
Christmas, helped cope with a near-tragedy in our family, discovered
that Phonon was destroying KGoldrunner sound, spent months trying
to get Phonon to work with it, etc., during much of which time I was
not able to watch the lists and the changeover to git started to happen.
And now, through lack of use, I have forgotten what I learned about git
last year ... :-(

All the best, Ian W.

[1] Would you like to install a Bing bar?  Would you like to choose
another search engine?  Sorry, we have no record of any other
search engines. ....  Please use this tiny scroll area to read the
licensing agreement.  You don't like these terms and conditions?
Please read our privacy statement.  Oh, and before you shut your
machine down and are late for your lunch appointment, please wait
while we install update 1 of 1 and please make sure your charger
is plugged in to avoid damage to your installation ... :-(