[Kde-games-devel] Re: Kpat solvers

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Jan 30 18:37:22 CET 2011

Hi Stephan,

On Friday 28 Jan 2011 16:25:43 Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2011 sent Shlomi Fish:
> > > So from my perspective you should send individual patches to
> > > - add the library functions you need to dump the board
> >
> > Do you mean «QString Simon::solverFormat() const» and
> > «QString Freecell::solverFormat() const» ?
>
> There are various of such functions in your patch, but yes.

OK. Will do.

> > > I would
> > > prefer solving the original game
> >
> > What do you mean? If I understood you correctly, then PySolFC now
> > implements heterogeneous sequence moves in Simple Simon as one move for
> > Simple Simon that both the user and the automated solver can use (without
> > intermdiate step animations that are not present for Freecell as well.).
>
> Yeah, my main point is that I want to discuss this independent of your
> solver. And Parker just discussed that day about a bug, but now that I
> looked closer: the bug reporter wanted to use more than empty piles. He
> wanted the game to split sequences and use cards that happen to help. If
> it's just about using empty piles, I guess I'm fine with it.

Ah, OK. Parker's E-mail had me worried for some time.

> > > Beside that: I tested your patch and simple simon game 177 kills my
> > > computer while solving.
> >
> > Yes, I see that too.
> >
> > > It looks like you didn't implement limits.
> > > patsolve is configured to give up solving after using 30MB.
> >
> > It shouldn't be hard to do it for my solver as well, as it has
> > freecell_solver_limit_iterations and other mechanisms for that. I'll work
> > on it.
>
> Thanks. I started on an AbstractSolver to make the interface between game
> and solver more obvious. But it's not so easy ;)

I recall that when I was in the 9th grade, our Physics teacher was asked why
some material we have learned was so hard, and he said: "Do you see people
with food hampers outside? [No.] Then you should know that life is not a
picnic.". But hopefully, it won't be too hard. I'll try taking a look at it
myself if I have some spare cycles.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish