[Kde-games-devel] Re: Tagaro as an application?

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:54:22 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
<admin at leinir.dk>wrote:

> On Monday 17 Jan 2011 19:19:19 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > Am Montag, 17. Januar 2011, 00:39:28 schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen:
> > >   GamingFreedom.org (our distribution site) uses the Open Collaboration
> > >
> > > Services for all contact between the player applications and the server
> > > (and gluon creator as well)... We will need a few extra things as well,
> > > in particular you might've seen a random note about a new module for
> > > achievements. Other than that, of course, high scores, savegames and
> the
> > > like will need some storage server side.
> >
> > Where is this documented? Do you have some wiki page, Etherpad document
> or
> > such where I can enter my thoughts on what API will be needed?
> >
> > Also, do you have any code or concepts for how local storage of all this
> > will look like? Everything has to work off-line, so the library or the
> > Tagaro application should store the necessary bits locally.

Well right now what we are doing is storing all the offline data in
plaintext in ~/.gluon . GluonCore has something called GDL which is
essentially a tool to serialize any GluonObject to a syntax like this -

{ GluonCore::GluonObject(383552)
                            Author string(shaan7)
                            Title string(Stop)
                            Body string(Stop spamming now ! :P)
                            DateTime string(Fri Sep 24 14:49:59 2010)
                            Rating int(50)
}

We use this to currently store comments that are fetched from the
gamingfreedom server. As GluonObjects can have a tree structure (that, is
have children etc), we have threaded comments shown in Gluon Player. So, we
have a working offline storage, though there is not any form of protection
against a naughty user changing the files ;)

As Dan said, in the end it would be cool if we have KDE-wide agreement over
KDE's distribution systems, and yes, a sprint would be helpful, +1 from me
too.

--

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com