[Kde-games-devel] Re: Tagaro as an application?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 17 01:01:04 CET 2011

On Sunday, January 16, 2011, Stefan Majewsky wrote:

neat idea! :)

> * downloading content (levels or levelpacks) and keeping it up-to-date
> * downloading and selecting themes

if you are thinking of content and themes that are approved/curated by
upstream kde games first, then synchrotron can already provide this service
(as could hotstuff.org?). a shared KDE install of synchrotron should be up on
a production kde.org server in fairly short order (was talking with toma about
this today, and the server is already selected; just some work needed on the
db side as i was using pgsql and they use mysql on those servers).

note that synchrotron does not do user contributed content, but that may not
be an issue for you. it isn't for plasma or kdevelop, for instance, since we
both have other means for that :)

> [2] Setting up a server that converts Images of the Day (e.g. from
> Wikipedia) to Puzzles of the Day is a long-standing idea of mine, which I
> did not realize yet.

with synchrotron, you could run this on your home system from a cron job and
have it commit the results to git. easily scripted, and you could run it
wherever it makes sense for you. it would then show up within 15 minutes on
the main synchrotron server. :)

palapelli would then just need to check for entries when showing its list of
available puzzles.

the client-side code to make this as easy as possible is mostly there in
libattica. one of my upcoming tasks is to look at how easy it is to use that
to access a synchrotron install without KNewStuff (which is very much GUI
centric)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se