[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move to git

Johannes Obermayr johannesobermayr at gmx.de
Tue Feb 1 19:03:52 CET 2011

Am Dienstag, 1. Februar 2011, 18:30:45 schrieb Shlomi Fish:
> On Tuesday 01 Feb 2011 19:25:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 1, 2011, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> > > With split repos it will be way easier to include new games to the
> > > module or to move games from the repo to extragear or playground
> > > without messing with history.
> >
> > and much harder to build. unless everyone moves to tools like
> > kdesrc-build and lets that automate it for them, you can very much
> > expect the # of people testing the various games from master to drop as
> > the effort needed to keep all those separate repositories and builds up
> > to date goes up.
> >
> > some things are absolutely simpler and more straightforward by creating
> > 37 app repoes and then another for the libraries. building the games and
> > keeping up with what gaes are available is not one of them.
> >
> > if you all decide to go the split route, please, please, please ensure
> > you have a sensible build strategy in place otherwise you will lose a
> > large portion of your testing and casual contributor base.
> >
> > as one non-representative data point: i doubt many (if any) of the
> > patches i have contributed to kdegames over the years would have
> > happened if i had to track 38 repositories instead of 1. those patches
> > may not be large in number or value at the end of the day; you need to
> > decide if casual "drive by" contributions are important to you. you
> > should consider the ease of people getting involved with dev for the
> > first time.
>
> I agree with these sentiments. I think one repository for kdegames would be
> ideal.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Shlomi Fish

I would say a monolithic repository with ~ 500++ MB and full history up to 4.6
branching.¹
Then a second monolitic repository with ~ 60++ MB from 4.6 branching to the
future.
Think how you will stress servers with a 500++ MB repository!

When (in the sense of 'IF') your decision is done I will write the rules and
create the monolitic/splitted repositor(y,ies) ...

Johannes

¹ http://gitorious.org/jobermayr/kdegames